The line from Lynbrook to Long Beach was completed in 1880 by the NY and Long Beach RR. In 1881, the Long Beach Marine Railway Co. extended the line 5 miles east to Point Lookout for trolley (and some train) service. This portion was abandoned in 1895 after several large storms kept washing out the ROW. The line was double tracked to East Rockaway in 1913 and to Reynolds Channel in 1927. It was electrified in 1910.
Here's a ticket (courtesy of "Big John - Fan of the Sunrise Trail") showing the service to Point Lookout
Lynbrook - Originally called Pearsall's Corners in 1867 then just Pearsall's in 1875, name changed to Lynbrook (Brooklyn, with the two syllables reversed) in 1894. On the north side of Sunrise Highway between Peninsula Blvd. and Broadway. Two island platforms with four tracks, two of which turn south towards Long Beach and two continue east to Rockville Centre. The first picture is looking west from the south platform. The second is facing east and shows the two Long Beach tracks diverging to the right. These pictures were taken in February, 1999. The remaining pictures were taken in November, 2006.
Centre Ave. - Opened 1898. Originally South Lynbrook; name changed in 1924. At Forest Ave. between Rocklyn and Centre Aves. Two side platforms with two tracks. No station building. The first picture is looking south and is from February, 1999. The rest are from December, 2006. Not much change.
East Rockaway - An original station from 1880. At Atlantic and Ocean Aves. Two side platforms with two tracks. No station building. The picture is looking north. Again, the first picture is 1999 and the rest are December, 2006.
Oceanside - Opened 1897. Between Lawson Blvd. and Royal Ave. at W. Windsor Blvd. Two side platforms with two tracks. The first picture is looking north. The second (contributed by George N.) is of the small station building. The rest are from December, 2006.
Island Park - Originally The Dykes in 1898. Name changed in 1924. At Long Beach Rd. and Nassau La. Two side platforms with two tracks. The station building opened in May, 1923. The first picture shows the station building; the second is looking north. Those were from 1999. The rest are December, 2006
Long Beach - The original terminal was built in 1880 and was much closer to the ocean than the present station. Today, it would be surrounded by Broadway, Penn St., Edwards Blvd. and Riverside Blvd. The present depot at Park Ave. was built in 1909, and the first picture is from 1999, when it was undergoing renovation. There are two island platforms with four tracks, plus several storage tracks. There is a bus depot adjacent to the station building. The rest of the pictures are from December, 2006.
Back to Stations Today page