1. Atlantic Branch
Flatbush Ave. - 1836
Bedford - between Franklin and Classon Aves.
East New York. - 1840's - at Alabama Ave.
Cypress Ave. (Crescent St.) - 1851
Adamsville - 1872 - at Eldert's Lane
Union Course - at Rockaway Blvd.
Woodville (Woodhaven) - 1851 - name changed to Woodhaven in 1853
Clarenceville - 1867 - at 111th St. - Even though the name of the area was changed to Richmond Hill in 1872, the station retained its original name until around 1940, when this portion of the line was placed in a tunnel.
Lefferts Ave. - 1867 - no longer listed as a station by 1870
Morris Grove - 1860 - located at the site of the present Morris Park shops.
Van Wyke Ave. - 1867 - name changed to South Side Crossing in 1870
2. Main Line
Hunter's Point - 1861 - at the East River
Woodside - 1861 - northeast corner of Woodside Ave. and 60th St. When the railroads were consolidated in 1876, this station was abandoned and the Flushing & North Side's Woodside station was used
Winfield - 1865 - similar to Woodside, it was abandoned in 1876 and the F&NS was used.
Hopedale - 1875 - at Queens Blvd. and Union Tpke.
Maple Grove - 1879 - at Lefferts Blvd.
Jamaica - 1836 - at 151st St.
Rockaway Junction - 1875 - just west of the present Hillside Facility, where the LIRR's Rockaway Branch (at that time) turned to the south.
Willow Tree - at 184th St. in Hollis
Queens - 1852 - at Hempstead Ave. (just east of the site of the old Bellaire station, which was abandoned in the 1970's). The station was moved further east to Springfield Blvd. in 1871
Hinsdale (Floral Park) - east of Tulip Ave.
(New) Hyde Park - one of the original stations from 1836. The "New" was added in 1871 to avoid confusion with Hyde Park in upstate NY.
Garden City - 1874 - at the site of the present Merillon Ave. station. The station was named Garden City to deliberately mislead passengers that it was the Central RR's Garden City.
Mineola - 1836 - The bridge carrying Mineola Blvd. over the tracks was built in 1878, one of the earliest grade eliminations ever.
New Cassel - 1875
Hicksville - 1837
Jerusalem (Central Park) - 1837
Farmingdale - 1841
West Deer Park - 1875 - at Straight Path - name changed to Wyandance in 1888 and the Wyandanch in ????.
Deer Park - 1842 -
Thompson's Station - 1842 - located where the Sagtikos Parkway crosses the LIE. Abandoned 1869.
Brentwood - 1842 - originally called Modern Times
Suffolk Station - 1842 - at Islip Ave. Abandoned 1873
Central Islip - 1873 - replaced Suffolk Station
Lakeland (Ronkonkoma) - 1844
Holbrook - 1844 - originally called Waverly
Medford - 1844 -
Bellport - 1852 - at Bellport Ave. Name changed to Bartlett's Station in 1880
Yaphank - 1844 - original station was the Yaphank Hotel
Baiting Hollow (Calverton) - 1852
Riverhead - 1844 -
Jamesport - 1844
Mattituck - 1869 - at Wickham Ave.
Cutchogue - 1844 -
Hermitage (Peconic) - 1844 - Name changed 1876 to Peconic
Southold - 1844
Greenport - 1844
3. Sag Harbor Branch
Moriches (Eastport) - 1869 - name changed to Eastport in 1881
Speonk - 1869 - at Phillips Ave.
Westhampton - 1869 -at Depot Rd.
Quogue - 1869 - originally at lewis Rd.
Atlanticville (East Quogue) - 1871 - name changed to East Quogue 1891
Good Ground (Hampton Bays) - 1869 - at Ponqouge Ave.
Southampton - 1870 - at Main St.
Water Mills - 1875
Bridgehampton - 1870 - at Butter Lane
Sag Harbor - 1870 - at Water St.
4. The White Line
Schwalenberg's Park - 7/19/1875 - near today's Queens Plaza at Diagonal St.
Sunnyside - 7/19/1875 - at 35th St. near Jackson Ave.
Newtown - on the west side of Broadway. Depot built 12/13/1873.
Corona Park - SW corner of Corona Ave. and Saultrell St.
Flushing - Depot built 9/1873 - Demolished in 1923 to make way for the Loew's Theater.
Here's are two timetables, perhaps the only ones in existence, of the "White Line". The scan was graciously contributed by "Big John, fan of the Sunrise Trail"
The White Line was abandoned for passenger service in April, 1876. Horsecar service commenced in January, 1877 for several years afterwards.
more to come...
Back to History