The Prospect Park and Coney Island Railroad was built as a street level steam line in 1875 by Andrew Culver. It was a consolidation of a former horse car line, The Park Ave. RR and another company which he formed in 1972, the NY, Greenwood and Coney Island RR. (copy of stock certificate contributed by Peter F.) It ran from 9th Ave. and 20th St. in Brooklyn south to Coney Island. In 1885, the LIRR made an agreement with the Culver line (now much of the route of the NYC Subway's F train in Brooklyn along McDonald Ave. - formerly Gravesend Ave.) to operate trains jointly over each other's tracks. In 1892 the LIRR purchased the line from Andrew Culver and, from 1893 to 1899, the LIRR actually ran the Culver line as a part of the NY & Manhattan Beach division. The Culver line was leased by the BRT and eventually became a part of the BMT. It was electrified in 1899, and was elevated in 1919. The LIRR continued operating its trains over the Culver line until 1909.
For a more complete history of the line, follow this link to nycsubway.org
The original stations on the line were as follows:
Greenwood Opened June 19, 1875. At 9th Ave. between 19th and 20th Sts. Converted to trolley operation in 1916 when the route of the Culver line changed to the East River
Turners Station 1875 and 1876 only. Near Ft. Hamilton Parkway
Kensington Opened 1890. At the corner of Gravesend Ave. and Avenue C
Parkville Opened 1875. At the crossing with the Bay Ridge line.
Washington Station At Ave. K for Washington Cemetery
Harris Station (Woodlawn) Opened 1875. At Ave. N. Name changed to Woodlawn in 1878
Kings Highway Opened 1875
Jockey Club Race Course Between Aves. S and T (Thanks to "Big John - fan of the Sunrise Trail" for the ticket pictures on this page)
Gravesend Opened 1875. At Gravesend Ave. and Neck Road.
Van Sicklens Opened 1875. North of Neptune Ave.
Coney Island Opened 1875 at the beach. Cut back when Surf Ave. was built in 1883.
These tickets show some of the routes that could be taken when the Culver line was part of the LIRR.
Back to Joint LIRR/Elevated page
Back to LIRR page